Wonder, awe.......

I was walking to the vegetable garden the other day, when i saw something that really touched me....
A brickmaker was looking with wonder and awe as one of our workers showed him how the tap and hosepipe works.  His face lit up as the water spouted out!  He couldn't believe his eyes!  WOW, said his whole face.

Another time..... a young woman came to me for help - a bee had stung her on her lip and it had swelled up three times it's original size!  I ran indoors to fetch an icepack and some anti-histamine.  When i returned with the cold pack, she held it for a split second and then cried out to the other and my heart nearly stopped, but then i saw the wonder on her face!  She immediately gave it to her sister to also expereince this very cold thing.  Never before had they touched such coldness.  Wonder and awe ......

On another day, when we still lived in the city.....we used to go to this little group of believers on a Thursday - A to give them Bible lessons and me to receive cooking classes!  One day they decided to bake a cake and i brought some icing sugar along.  When i took it out they were amazed and asked what it was.  I said it was sugar and gave them all a bit to taste - you guessed it - Wonder and awe on their faces, plus HUGE smiles!  This sugar was just the best!  They asked me all kinds of questions about it - where to get it, where to buy it, what else can you use it for, etc, etc.  They were amazed!

And that is kind of my point here - am i still amazed?  Can you see in your mind's eye people around you today who are still amazed?  Awestruck?  I don't think so!  And this is why it struck me so!!  Here in Africa there is much turmoil, bad water, poverty, etc, but there is also still this innocence and the childlikeness to be amazed.  I believe it is very special quality and i pray they will not loose it as in more "civilised" cultures.  I also pray that my God, whom I love and Who loves them, will amaze them with Himself one day!!  I can't wait to see that WOW on their faces!

Comments

Popular Posts