Personal info.....

Today is my eldest son's birthday!!  We always try and make it special no matter where we are - it's just so important to remember the day our kids were born!  But not at all here in our village......

I see a lot of sick people and usually i need to know the age of a child before i can give medicine!  They are already so not used to meds that i definitely do not want to overdose them!  But i have officially given up now to try and figure out the ages and it's useless to ask!  The other day a small boy needed some parasetamol and i innocently asked his mother (yes, the one he was born from) how old is the child....well, her reaction was quite surprising!  She looked at me as if i asked her what size her underpants were!  I felt really embarrassed for asking such a silly question!  Or maybe it was more like asking you "and so, on what day of the week was your great-grandfather born?"  You would also look at me and think....."weird person!", right??

Well, no more of this for me....i now let the little kids stand up and then compare them to the height and weight of my own kids and then give the appropriate amount without feeling stupid!  In any case, the kids here are all a bit underweight and under-height for their age, so this system is actually much more accurate!
Just shows that there are so many things we think is NOT cultural but really IS!!  Culture goes deep my friends, much deeper than we would like to admit, because then we might, just might, have to change our very fixed ideas!!  :)

bella, the good guesser!

Comments

Popular Posts