all i need is a challenge!!

Yesterday two men were sitting outside on my "Patient" bench waiting for me.  More often than not, it is the ladies and their children who come to me with their minor ailments, but not today.

So, i sit down and then greet first the one and then the other one, very patiently.....they greet back. We sit.   The next thing i hear is one of them shouting to a worker nearby "Hey you!  Come help me with this White One" in the local language! 
Humph!!!  He clearly does not think much of me and so taking this challenge with both hands (or is it with all the words i know?) i ask him very sweetly in his mother tongue "So, what is it, that is sick?"  and he replies and of course i understand him - i mean he uses his hands like any pain-stricken back patient to show me Exactly Where the Pain is ......with words following, of course.  So once again i ask very sweetly in his language if he has been working very hard?  "Yes", he now admits, looking sheepishly to his called-upon translator who shyly translates that which has already been said and understood.  So, i go and fetch some pain meds and i wonder what he is saying now, behind my back to our 'translator" and i think to myself...nevermind - well done!!  All i need is a challenge - even if it is in the form of a slightly chauvinistic man!!  :)

bella, maybe i need more of these challenges to get my linguistic endeavours going??

Comments

Popular Posts