Saudades

Saudades.....longing, missing, feeling homesick says the English/Portuguese dictionary. A word that cathces you usually offguard. Only a word, not a very long one, but, oh so powerful that it can knock your feet from under you in a second!

I went through the whole of Christmas and New Year and didn't feel a thing and now suddendly on this wet, muddy Friday it has bowled me over! Saudades.

Missing things that people "there" take for granted, longing for the normal and commonplace. Feeling homesick and missing friends and family. Part of my life. Hardening my heart and moving ON. Saying "hello" saying....no, i don't say that anymore - i have learned from a good(bye-saying) friend to just say "See ya!" and not make a big deal out of it, otherwise your heart will break!

In times like these it helps me to focus on what God has called me to be here....
I sometimes wish there were more understanding PEOPLE too out there to make it more bearable Out here in Africa....BUT He is faithful and knows my every thought, He sees my breaking heart and brings comfort! Holding on to that thought today!

Comments

  1. While I can say that I understand your pain, I cannot. I have my own version of homesickness, but it comes in a very different bottle to yours. Mine is labeled "familiarity". Knorr. Royco. Willards. Ceres. Bokomo. Clover.

    People too. That hits hard. Friends and family that you love.

    Praying for you my friend as you struggle. Praying that HIS peace and calm will overwhelm your heart. Take courage in the fact that you are a pleasing, sweet-smelling aroma to Him. And He is so proud of you.

    I'm enjoying your blog so much! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    Liesl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts