Gratitude



In tough times it is hard to be grateful. In anxious times even worse. But it says in Philippians that we should not be anxious for anything but by prayer and petition with Thanksgiving make our requests known to God and His Amazing All-encompassing Peace will follow. But Thankfulness in these times? Really? Yes, i need this peace, but grumbling and complaining would be much easier than Thanking....

So, the sceptic me looks at a "normal" day and i wonder where will my thankfulness come from? But then i use my fingers on the keyboard and i begin to see......Thank You that i can use my fingers. That i can open and close my hands. That i have feeling in my hands.

I take a sip of coffee and i say Thank You again because i can actually swallow. I can see, read, speak, make a face, roll my eyes. I can actually lift my arms above my head. I can touch my toes. I can put my own socks on, peel a potato, open the door, turn the key in the lock. And i breathe a Thank You.

I hang my head in shame...there is so much to be grateful for. So much i miss because i just want to complain and grumble and wallow in self pity. So much i take for granted - until you lose it you don't even think about these things. Sitting, standing, bending, eating, coughing, taking a deep, deep breath.

Thank You Lord. Please forgive me for acting like a spoiled brat. Stomping my foot when i lose perspective and see nothing good anymore. Nothing to say Thank You for. That is so far from the Truth. Help me see.

When i look for things to Thank God for i regain that peace. Thankfulness is like an anchor that stops the boat from being bashed against the rocks. Life wants to bash and break every bone in my body, Christ wants to keep me whole and by seeing Him in my day at work does just that. Thanking Him for His presence, mercy and grace brings that inner peace and healing that my soul needs. Thankfulness.

It can be big or small but find those things and say, Thank You, Lord.

Bella


Comments

Popular Posts