Unexpected Joy....

 


In a August i lost my husband. Two years ago now. Tomorrow another August will roll out - as the months usually do on our little blue planet. I wasn’t particularly looking forward to it, and yet....

In a August Alfred started teaching Bible lessons to a small group of then, unbelievers. Now a church exists! August is the month leading up to Spring which is my favorite season of course! Me, the hopeless lover of flowers. 19 years ago in August, my youngest was born - making this month definitely precious ...and so, as i sit here thinking of August (which is only one day away) i feel strangely excited.

Before each month i pray that God would give me a new word for that month. I write down verses around that word in my Coffee times with God. As i was praying and thinking about August and not feeling super happy i just suddenly was struck by this thought of JOY. And as CS Lewis put it so aptly in his title i was “Surprised by Joy”. August’s word is perfect! Joy. What a word for a month like this — being joyful despite circumstances. I don’t have a job. My house saga drags on. I am a widow. Etc, etc. But yet, i can be Joyful. God has given me this gift of Joy, because He, the rock solid stable One, is Joy. It is not dependent on what is going on in my life. I can trust Him, and as i do, Joy bubbles to the surface. August might just turn out to be a great month. And since i am quoting favorite authors, let me quote the title of Charles Dickens ...i have “Great Expectations” of God for this month of August as i explore God’s Joy. 

Bella

Comments

  1. All the best people are born in August!

    Bella you are so right, joy is not determined by anything or anyone but HIM!

    I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, truly...all the best people are born in August.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts