Familiar...

 This morning i decided to put on a dress. I know, the forever-in-blue-jeans me was wearing a dress. It was just that kind of a day. I had a coffee with a friend and afterwards went for a walk on the beach with my dogs. Too lazy to put on jeans i just went as i was. Minus shoes of course!

I like the idea of bare-feet, a dress blowing in the wind while walking on the beach and in the water, my romantic streak. I was walking by myself on a nearly empty beach and I was enjoying myself, There was something more though and as i walked I realized what it was - Wearing skirts 350 days out of 365 for nearly 10 years in Mozambique had left its mark on me. That familiar feeling of fabric moving around my ankles, the soft swooshing sound it makes, the wind blowing the wispy parts away and back - all those familiar sensations were such a comfort. A bit of my old life brought back to life, but also brought into my life as i know it now. And after yesterday with all the pain of those blasted drawers, i was glad for this nice comforting feeling of fabric around my legs, a smile on my face and a happier heart remembering happy times. Who would have thought that i would be comforted by the feel of a skirt? 

I marvel at how God can bring healing into my life. Even use a dress. To me that dress was something known. Taking me back to happy times yes, but also  making me remember difficult times. Most days i hated not having the option to wear anything else but a skirt - no jeans or whatever other type of pants i wanted. Yet, now it has become a soothing sensation. God was with me there. He helped me adapt. He will help me now. Not all those times were happy. Not all the times now are sad. It was as if those skirts swirling around in the wind brought peace into my heart. Balance. Don’t think the past was just all glory. Don’t think the future is just all bleak. Find comfort in the familiar but move it into the now. 

I might not be making sense but to my own heart i am. Healing comes in many forms. This dress is one of them

Bella, who sometimes wears a dress

Comments

Popular Posts