The God Who Sustains...


 You know that moment when you jump off the cliff in a step of faith? There is that intense moment where you panic and frantically flail your arms as you ask “What have i done?” And as you free fall you wonder if you will soar or hit the ground and how long will it be before it all ends either spectacularly or ..not. 

The other day as i was moping and fretting in my free falling mode, I sighed and wished i could just have 5 minutes a year from now. Just to quickly take stock and see if it all worked out. One of my boys then dryly remarked..and why would we need faith then? Spot on. Faith. Step of faith. You cannot use faith if you know the outcome. Right now i have no idea of what, where, how or when. But God wants me to trust Him and step off the cliff...maybe i will fly, maybe i will dive deep or maybe He will put His hand under my shaky legs and lift me up. I could even crash, but i know He will lift me up, brush me off or mend my bones and say “Let’s try that again.” Because He is the God who sustains me. Who builds my faith. 

When a patient comes to me after knee surgery I don’t start with jumping jacks or even the balance board. I slowly build up the muscles again. You might do the same exercise but repeat it more often. Then i will make it more difficult by just changing the effect of gravity on the leg. Weights can be added. And that is our lives of faith. Faith as the most precious thing in God’s eyes. If you want to please God, have faith!

God is the best physio in faith building exercises! As i look back over my life since i became a believer, I can see His training program for me. Some days i failed miserably and had to try again. Other times i refused to practice my faith. But the best times were when my faith was stretched and i trusted and God came through. And yes, the darkest times were just before the light broke through. Not my faith. But my faith in God who sustains....

I am glad i have grey hair at a (younger) age...haha... this verse is my go to verse:

Isaiah 46:4 Even to your old age and grey hairs I am He. I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you, I will sustain you and I will rescue you.”

And with that, although it is kind of dark still i can fly. I don’t have to panic in this new step of faith. God will sustain me. 

Bella


Comments

Popular Posts