Afraid...but You make me brave



This morning i was reading the passage in Matthew where Peter walked on water. That must have been amazing. I was trying to picture myself in his (wet) shoes.  He had the faith to jump out of a boat in stormy conditions - he had enough faith to disregard those waves and wind - initially. And he actually walked on the water. His focus was Totally on Jesus. But then his focus shifted and he ....well, sank. As i read i felt a little nagging thought surface....

How many times do i not start out strong in faith and then look at the dooming circumstances around me? I jump out of the boat all excited and faith filled and then i unfix my eyes from God to the bewilderment of things around me. Things Shouting something like ‘What were you thinking? Look at us!’ And then i sink and call out for help.

And this morning i feel like I really want to step out on the water, but i am afraid. Afraid to even try. There is Wind. There are Waves. And I have life experience that makes it all the harder. I know i can sink. In fact, I have sunk. But ultimately there is Jesus. I was rescued every time. I need sustainable faith that keeps on trusting in the midst of fear. Faith to get me out of the safety of the boat. To really live.

And right now i fix my eyes on Him as i sit on the edge of the boat and try and calm my nerves and be brave. I dare not focus on anything else. But i have yet to take that step....

Jesus rescued Peter and took hold of him. It doesn’t say anything more but i can see them in my mind walking back to the boat - Peter walking On Water while holding on to the Son of God.
And Jesus says Trust Me. Come, take My Hand and trust Me.

Bella




Comments

Popular Posts