Drawing a breath for you



Drawing a breath for you
Swallowing hard
It does not make a difference
But i keep on doing it
Hoping against all hope
That my lungs can draw in
Enough for both of us
Or even
just enough
For you

Living with my heart
Outside of my body
Painful to carry
The lumps in my throat
Grow larger each day
I fight off the tears
Fearing i might cry myself an island
- As a friend once put it -
My island is small
But my tears
Cover
You

How can i go on
As each day brings a new loss
- Mourning in stages -
I never knew
Love would hurt so much
But i draw in another breath
Swallow hard and pretend
That i am fine and coping
While inside
My heart Is so broken
That no healing salve
And no superglue
Could ever fix
This heart

Pieces of life
Pieces of heart
Mixed in the mud of tears
And clay
As i walk about day by day
And remember in the deep of night
A bruised reed He will not break
And a smoldering wick
He will not snuff out
He will steadily and firmly
Set things right
And the day will be great
When there will be no more need
For tears
Or suffering
And we will be
with Him
and be
Whole


Comments

Popular Posts