I can’t do math in a foreign language!


There I was, standing like a tall fool in the shop, just handing over all the money in my hand to pay for the margarine…..
My first language is Afrikaans, second English, then the official language of the country. Currently learning the local language, understanding general German and Dutch……in listing all this not to brag, but to show what a confused person I am!

I asked for the price of a small block of Rama – 60M - right, I need 5, so how much is that again?  I tried to multiply in Portuguese, nothing came to mind.  I tried to count out the right amount, again nothing!  Why I didn’t just count and multiply in Afrikaans or English, I really don’t know!  So I just handed her my bundle of notes and hoped she would be honest!  She looked a bit curious at me and then asked “You did want only 5?”  “Yes”, i said, trying to sound intelligent but not succeeding.  Slowly she handed me back my excess notes….Hmmm, I had math up to grade 12 – and I did well in it!  Physics and Chemistry at University and I can’t multiply?

I once stood in a store where they only sold half liter milk cartons and I tried in vain to figure out if half a liter was cheaper than one liter – here buying in bulk costs often more, not less – so in the end I had to run outside and ask my dear patient husband what 22x2 was!!  And then, to my shame, I went in and said “This language is sooo easy!” (I meant to say difficult, but by that time I had confused everything!)  haha  I am sure a psychologist would quickly label me one way or the other!!

Division also seems to be a problem……this happened today after the “Rama” incident -  the man behind the counter told me the milk (again milk – maybe I have a thing about buying milk?) cost 360M and I just looked at him – stared actually, as I divided 360 by 6 – then he slowly said in a strong Indian-accented-English – three …. sixty.  I smiled and said in perfect Portuguese (just to show I was not a total idiot!), “Fine, I’ll take one box of milk at ….3….60” and handed over the money – this time the correct amount at least!

In my defense I can say this – with all the thoughts going through my mind as I try and do math I do understand why I am so clueless – here are some thoughts that race through my mind – Is the shop trustworthy?  Is the product fresh?  How long since this has expired?  Is this price so good because it has expired?  What is that funny smell?  Do I really need this?  When will we be in town again - how much should i buy?  How much is this in Rand?  How desperate am I for this product, etc, etc!! In short…..Shopping stress!!
 So, I have to admit that my brain just freezes when I have to count and multiply or divide under stress – I just cannot do it!  I rely heavily on the honesty of people around me, to help me along the way as I stumble and stutter.  

And so, I guess in more ways than one I am a fool for Christ!

Bella, who does NOT like shopping in any culture!


Comments

Popular Posts