cultural issues....

Being here in my own culture sure has been interesting! People here really do not like probing questions as to why they do something or do not! Espesially when faced with things that they are trying to ignore and we, as "outsiders" once again see very clearly! I really do not mean it arrogantly or even that i am judgmental, it is just that i am so used to ask questions and be inquisitive that i can't help myself! And so when i forget to be quiet and ask the very untinkable yet again and the person rushes off with a sudden onset of a coughing fit in search of something to drink, not to return, then i sigh and resove once again to smile and nod....smile and nod.

But yesterday i just had so much FUN! I went to a ladies confernece for the day and was a bit puzzled when the pastor's wife said just before we left that we need to mingle with the rest and not stick to our own group....and so i hoped to find enlightnement when we disembarked from very smll cars going very fast up and over hills, a half an hour later. We were met by about 200 friendly women that were not of our own culture.....ah i now see clearly why we had to be reminded to "mingle"! I, on the other hand was IN MY ELEMENT!

This is what i do everyday - trying to look as if i belong although i once again stand out like only a white person can with wild hair and a tall frame in the midst of brown haired, very short people!! BUT this time, i could use my own precious language and ask and wonder and be curious to my heart's desire!! And feel loved and accepted by these dear, wonderful ladies!

I went to the confernce expecting, i guess, to learn more about God (which i did of course!) but i went away with such a wonderful sense of knowing for sure that God's call on my life is working cross-cultural and that He know me best!

Comments

  1. I'm DYING to know what questions you ask that make people so uncomfortable!? I need a few!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts