Dreaming vs Living



 I can understand why people would rather Dream than Do. Dreaming is safe. There are no insects biting you while you Dream of floating down the Amazon. The heat doesn’t bother you; you never run out of funds (😂) you are in a controlled environment. Safe. Safe and nice. You can chop and change dreams. You can make them big or small, you can include people or take them out. So easy to Dream. 

What a reality check it is to Live your Dream. The Dream in reality becomes the School of Life. Insects actually do bite, you sweat away every single electrolyte. It’s hard and messy. There are days when you think to yourself “What was I thinking?” But there are also days where you go to bed with a smile, knowing you are living it. Its real and its messy, yes, but its also rewarding and amazing and wonderful.

Living the dream - whatever that dream is - is really only a small bit of dream with a much larger piece called a leap of faith. 

If you are the lazyboy kind of Dreamer then its not super important to write down your dreams, but if you decide to go for it, write it out, because there will be days where you cannot remember quite why you are here or why you did it. Or what you had in mind when you are in the middle of the mess, but then as you read, you realize, it’s ok...keep calm and carry on. This is not bad. This is The Dream, remember?

I watched Out of Africa the other day and it starts with these lines .... I once had a farm in Africa. It took me by surprise, remembering that dream we had. Not a farm but living that African dream, living our dream out in messy Mozambique. It started as a small dream, flowered into a sweet hope and ended up as a faith-muscle-making-experience of a lifetime - you guessed it - filled with a lot of sweat, blood and tears. And amazing adventures too! It was so worth it. It was a dream that God placed in our hearts a long time ago. And we got to live it.

But that Dream of Mozambique ended so abruptly. (Not in God’s eyes, of course)  - I realized that i was still in shock and in survival mode. You do not conjure up many dreams when you are barely surviving. Who can dream when you are shipwrecked and swimming for dear life? 

I had a few dreamlike ideas along the way of course. Some were too far out to be practical. Others too practical. I set my heart on one i thought would not end, I guess ...and now i am wary and a bit too careful. But i miss Living a Dream. I feel without a rudder at the moment. Without something to really live for.

I hope to find a piece of driftwood, and maybe the sea will not be so violent, and i just might want to dream again. Or correction. Want to Live a Dream again. I just need that Right-for-me-dream. And i pray. And i wait. And i tell myself...there will be more Dreams, its not over yet.

Bella, 

Comments

Popular Posts