A lesson from a snake in my bathroom...


I was sitting on the kitchen island, feet up high wondering if snakes could climb up vertical surfaces, hoping that they couldn’t and praying I wasn’t going to find out...

My 17 year old spotted a snake in the bathroom just as he was about to take a shower. He kept his wits, closed the door, stuffed a towel under the door and went to put jeans and shoes on. A very well trained Mozambique-grown boy. And then very calmly told me to not freak out but...

We called a friend to come and help us, as i am really useless where snakes are involved. Another friend called the snake charmer/catcher. So, while we waited for the snake guy to arrive our friend climbed into the bathtub to keep his eye on the snake (😳) and while doing that, had a relaxed sounding chat with my son. I was still on the kitchen counter....now praying that the snake won’t
 1) escape, 2) bite someone as he darts out, or 3) disappear into the study or any other room for that matter😳

The snake catcher arrived in record time and, as i am told, literally just picked up this teeny tiny snake. Turned out not being dangerous at all...a house snake. Well, not in MY house, thank you very much!

Later as i sat down again in a normal chair - feet still off the floor - i thought about that snake and the snake catcher. For him it was nothing. He raced in without even locking his car, straight to where the snake was, picked it up, held it in his hand, tried showing me the thing (politely declined) and then without ceremony popped it in a pillow case. End of story.




And i thought about all my problems and how huge and dangerous they look but in the Hands of God, they are nothing. They are puny, contained, harmless. And i felt such a peace descend upon me.  God is on my side. He is for me. He is my Helper in times of trouble. And i marvel because never in my life would i think a snake in my bathroom could teach me such a profound lesson.

Shalom
Bella,

Comments

Popular Posts