Shakespeare wrote "What is in name?", but lately i was thinking "What is in a word"...
Just two short words. On their own they do not mean much, but choosing to use one rather than the other has made a great impact on my life.

So is the first word and Too is the second. I really struggle with these two. Somehow they are on the opposite spectrums of each other. They represent two very different viewpoints. This is quite amazing if you think about it. So and Too.

As i was scrolling through a forwarded devotional i was literally (and literary) stopped in my tracks. The spoken word is a very powerful thing. It can destroy, build up, shatter, praise, help, etc. As we all know swearing is never good, lashing out at someone never helps, but as i read this verse in Jeremiah a fresh meaning struck me.

"If you repent, I will restore you that you may serve Me; if you utter worthy, not worthless words, you will be My spokesman."

Worthy not worthless words.

I started listening to myself. What were the words i used most during the day? Well, it turned out it was TOO. Yes, you read right, TOO.

This was me....This is too hard Lord! This is too much! Too terrible, You expect too much of me, too, too, too.
Really worthless. Every time i used Too, I was whining. Complaining. Blaming.

And this is where SO comes in. As soon as i wanted to say TOO, I replaced it with SO. Because like it or not my circumstances had not changed one single bit, in fact it got worse. But the way I was speaking and thinking had to change! This is how it sounded now....

This is so hard, Lord.

I immediately realised that So was aWorthy Word. If i use "This is so hard", i was stating  the facts - denial won't work! But for me that complaining and whining edge disappeared. I was now coming to God for comfort, help and understanding. A huge difference. When i used Too i stopped there. I was just complaining. But by using So it immediately went into me asking help or wisdom or just to be held. And i could go on filled with fresh courage.

So and Too was just the beginning. Words have consequences - even the ones i speak quitely to myself....and So i turn once again on a new level to a Father who knows and cares and loves.

Bella


Comments

Popular Posts