Humbled me.....


If I would ever write a book about my life the most fitting title probably will be "The Humbled me".  That sure sums it up!

I went to my language “helper” today.  She was not helpful.  In actual fact, she was bored with me, she kept sighing and saying the words very fast before I even had time to think!  I asked her a few times politely if she was not feeling well, I asked if she had had a bad day, lots of works still to do? – but no, nothing…….so I kept at it – trying to be quicker, trying not to bore her.

Then worst of all, a man came by to visit.  After all the greetings were over he asked what I was doing with the book.  She said, in Y, that  I was learning the language, whereupon he burst out laughing.  At this stage I was still smiling and tried to look at least Y intelligent-ish….but to no avail!  The next thing I heard was how little I know (this coming from my language “helper”) how slow I am and a few other things which I am very glad I did not understand – but I did understand the main gist of this extremely painful conversation!  So I said after a while – actually practising my newly acquired phrase – "Oh, yes, I do understand" – shocked faces there for a minute and then, just when I thought things couldn’t get worse they started talking really, really fast so that I won’t understand – wow, I was never gossiped at, at this rate and as I was watching!  Level  9 of humbledness……..

I guess this is my thorn in the flesh – my language helpers (past and present!)  But life continues and when the time comes for the next session with her I will slowly make my way over there, swallow the little pride I have left and learn this language even if it hurts!

Bella, humbled over and over……for the sake of the Gospel.

Comments

Popular Posts