What is in a name?


As a welcome back present we received a rooster from our village chief.  So the next step was to buy a hen and then we had to build a chicken coop and then get food and so on and so on.  They were also duly named – Vitalstatistix and Hennie Pennie.  What is in a name??  Well, for one you won’t easily be eaten!  Just imagine the scene – “Thanks mom, Hennie Pennie, sure was tasty!”  Yikes!
But to make matters a bit more complicated we received another chicken gift – a rival rooster!  Our chicken coop was definitely not big enough for two male egos!!  So what to do, oh, what to do?
This last rooster kind of got a name too, but it didn’t quite stick…and so as my husband asked me what I thought about the idea of eating number 2 for Sunday lunch, I sat gazing out the window at the free chickens scratching away and I just couldn’t say yes.  So much for the strong missionary type!  (I once received a slaughtered chicken present and when they put the bag in my hands it was still warm, i shudder just thinking of it!)
But then, inspiration struck – why don’t we trade the rooster for another hen!!  Yipee!!  The day (and the rooster) was saved!  And I would eat something else tomorrow and try not to think about it too much!  
Bella, the almost vegetarian.
Ps.  I’m thinking about a name for the new hen already!

Comments

Popular Posts