furlough fun....and other lessons



I sometimes call myself the Unwilling Anthropologist. But not anymore! My enlightenment came at a very unexpected place - a women's conference......
Before embarking in 3 very small, very low-on-the-ground cars the pastor's wife reminded us to "Not stick together but mingle" ?? "Now why would she have to say that?", I wondered, but not for long - these little cars can really fly!

When we arrived (safely, thank goodness, i couldn't find the seat belt!) i saw the Why....we were the minority, or let me be frank, the twenty of us were the only whites. As i never were much of a group person or could handle any form of a click, i was off to "mingle" and very happy to do so!! And this, dear friend was not to make a point or to be an example of what a good integrated SAcan could look like, oh no! This was SURVIVAL IN SOUTH AFRICA for me!

Let me explain a bit more......

When living in another culture one naturally has to ask questions, learn the reasoning (if any) behind certain behaviour or mannerisms or whatnots and so when i go back to the good ole' SA i really struggle NOT to do it! I have a hard time not to ask questions as to why or why not?? I have learnt the hard way that people of my own culture really do not enjoy this at all! They are affected in strange ways - the person could suddenly contract a severe sore throat, or a coughing fit and they would HAVE to go off to find something to drink, never to return to your side of the sitting room!! Or if i would forget that i am not suppose to challenge ANYONE and say some little thing, the subject would be changed or dinner would be instantly ready, or they would urgently HAVE to go shopping for a very important ingredient...ah well.....smile and nod, i guess!
and this brings me to yesterday......

And there i was, IN MY ELEMENT again - the tall, wild-haired, white person in the midst of small brown people, people who were eager to answer my questions even though i was a total stranger! I am naturally a shy person, but here i was making new friends and having really a great time mingling and not feeling strained or unnatural, even blending in (well almost!) Doing what i do everyday when in my small village! (and just for a treat i could speak to these new friends and sisters in Christ in my own mother tongue!)
I went to the conference expecting to receive input (which also happened) but came home with a new sense that God really has called and equipped me for exactly this...and so, no more "unwillingness"from my side! God knows me best!

Bella, the curious and willing anthropologist! Viva!

Comments

Popular Posts