“Weltevrede”

 


Due to the fact that our country went into hard lockdown, my one son had a full two months of flying the nest. We decided to give up his room after 6 months of being home but still paying rent and drove 1200km to do so. As we were packing to go we had this mad idea to take a detour which would enable us to drive through the beautiful Namaqualand which, at this time of year, is filled with stunning fields of flowers. Getting there you drive through semi desert and one turn off to a farm caught my attention : Weltevrede (truly content).

The reason it caught my eye, was that it had no spectacular scenery or lush vegetation leading to it. Just a dirt road going off into some dry, rocky hills. And i wondered what made them name it Weltevrede? It stayed with me on our mad dash through the flower fields, around the Cape of Storms, all along the Garden route and into my busy week at home. Truly Content.

So many times i either live in the past or yearn for an alternative future. If only i had more time. More resources. If only i wasn’t alone now. If i had more of this, less of that, etc, etc. This epic 6 day road trip of 5000km with my son was one of those great reminders that we have this day, this moment. That we have choices how we tackle life. Yes, we had to pack up his stuff but hey, we made something out of it to remember for a long time. I find if i am in a state of discontent, i mope around, wishing mostly things were not as they now are. I can come up with many discontented words: A widow. A single mother. The only provider. Lonely. Etc. But when i have those moments of being Weltevrede, my vocabulary changes. Free to come and go easy. Privileged to have kids. Blessed by God’s faithfulness. A wonderful workplace. Surrounded by good caring friends. 

Being Truly Content for me is to take what God has put on my path and embrace it. To look hard at it and decide what my attitude is going to be. Its not a resigned kind of rolling over. No. Its more of a battle stance. Standing firm that God really has this. That He is with me. That my Father will help and provide and care every single day. This helps me accept and embrace. Helps me see flowers in the desert. In being truly content i feel hope rise again. Whining and feeling sorry for myself has the exact opposite effect. I feel overwhelmed by hopelessness and see only darkness ahead. I do not want to live like this. I choose the be Weltevrede, even if i live in a desert. Even if. I want to life a life of being Truly Content. Weltevrede.

Bella, there are flowers in deserts.

“I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” Philippians‬ ‭4:11-13‬ 

Comments

Popular Posts