Defined....


What defines you?  Some people on meeting you for the first time ask quickly “So what do you do?”  Doing defines them.  The Job.

Or what about looks?  Does Grey hair get you down like me?  It might get me down, but does it mean I am not me anymore just because I have grey hair?  Of course not!  What would Orange hair say??  Or the clothes you wear or whether you are thin or fat, short or tall, muscular or..flabby.  In some The Look defines.

Or how much you earn or have in the bank.  The car you drive, the house you have, the number and size of your TV screen(s).  The Possessions can define.
I kind of had a really good thing going a few years back – I had The Job, Looks was OKish, more than happy in what I earned, etc.  But one great thing was missing.  I didn’t have Jesus in my life.  And actually I had nothing that really defined me! 

Did you notice – all these things that the world uses to define itself can be taken away in a moment!?  You can lose your job, your house, car, income.  You can lose your looks due to health issues or an accident – and then what?  Well, you fall apart, because you are a nothing actually.  A nothing, that is, in your and the worlds eyes.  But never in God’s eyes.

In God’s eyes we are defined by His love for us.  I belong to Him.  I am His.  That is what ultimately defines me.  No-one can take that away.  I am defined by Jesus living in me.  No-one can take me away from Him.  I am a daughter of the Most High.  I am redeemed, summoned by name, I am His. 

Down here on earth I may not look like much in others eyes.  They might expect the least of me – a mother and teacher of my boys, at times a housewife (depending on the state of the house!!)  :) , a general helping hand - not someone who is defined by any form of greatness….just little ol’ me.

Mother Teresa once said – the work we do is not at all important, it is that we act in obedience to Him.  And so, even if my work, my looks and my possessions doesn’t add up to much, I know I am obedient to my King and in the right spot.  Let me keep this perspective Lord, as I lose it so easily when I am looked at and found wanting in the eyes of the world (and sadly sometimes even in the eyes of some believers).   

I am Yours and that defines me.

Bella, by definition God’s child.

Comments

  1. Belinda, I just want to let you know that you are far from ordinary. You are an amazing friend - you listen, don't judge and you are so thoughtful with the little things you do for people. Also my kids have told me that if they can't have me as their mum that they would want you!! You do what you do so well and it is making a BIG impact on the people around you. We are SO looking forward to getting back to Moz and catching up with you again! Love Tanya.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts